nursery mobiles

Thursday, October 11, 2012

I've been hard at work on the nursery. Or rather I've had a lot of help! I'm still waiting on the linens to be finished but all the big pieces are in place. It is a tiny little room (it is Japan) so it feels cozy. I'm trying to keep the feeling light and open with warm white walls and linens with pale blues. So my latest question about a child's room is this - do I really need a mobile? I've tried this and it just didn't look right:

Source: parents.com via Ann on Pinterest


Next, I thought this was going to be perfect but instead the lighter parts turned out to be a dark tea stained brown, not a soft white or cream. And the blue too bold of a royal blue, not at all soft. It felt too dark for the room, but of course I've second guessed that decision a million times. (I've lost it, surely.)

Source: flickr.com via Ann on Pinterest


Another option I'm thinking of trying.



Or perhaps craft something of sola wood flowers?



Maybe this airplane mobile is just too masculine? I am having a little girl (did I mention that?) and her room is already blue.



Or what about this like over at Jones Design Co?



But at the end of the day, I am starting to feel like these might be clutter in an already small room. Ceiling clutter. Or maybe that's me throwing in the towel. What do you think?

And for the non-baby set I'm attending a bazaar of antiques and furnishings this weekend. I'll post pics of the good stuff! I'm on the look out for some nice Imari pieces!
Parnassus said...

Hi Ann, I thought that a large part of the appeal of mobiles to babies was supposed to be bright colors, as well as movement. How about going with a basic Calder-type model, that way your baby can absorb some class and sophistication at the same time.

By the way, I dislike that iron crib, however expensive it might be--it looks uncomfortable and jail-like.

I do love that airplane mobile, and do not think it is too masculine. It is my favorite of the ones shown here.
--Road to Parnassus

ArchitectDesign™ said...

A girl! No, you didn't mention that -congratulations! I love mobile's....no baby room is complete without one. I LOVE that balloon one -so whimsical. Now that you know it's a girl though I love some of the more feminine mobiles too like floating flowers.

Kate @ Daffodils said...

Congrats on your baby girl! I bought a mobile for my first boy that just attached to the side of the crib and then hung over. He loved it. But we didn't use one with my second, I dont even know why, just never got around to it. I don't think he missed it either. Im sure what ever you decide will be great! (O and hi, I am new to your blog :)

Woodside Park said...

I like mobiles. I love their soft movements and the shadows they project. Try and live with one for a while. Congrats on the news. I hope the name search is going well :)
Loi

Mrs. Limestone said...

I'm going to try to make my own mobile because I can't find anything that works in my design. We'll see how that goes. I figure its something I can do later on when Im not as mobile. (Pardon the pun!)

Ann said...

Thanks for all the suggestions and kind comments! I've ordered a bunch of supplies and am going to try crafting using a Kikkerland mobile base. I figured it was a good way to spend an afternoon with my feet up!