flagler's st. augustine, part 4 of 5

Monday, March 5, 2012

The last Victorian destination is the Hotel Alcazar. Now home to some very interesting galleries and antique shops. I believe it is also presently home to the local city hall and, my favorite, the Lightner Museum.

wallsofwhite1893

The center courtyard.

The courtyard in the Lightner Museum

The lobby, now of the Lightner Museum

Lobby in Lightner Museum

These rooms contained the spa and gym.

Chandeliers

Sauna

The Ballroom is particularly remarkable as there are working sky lights and the dance floor surrounds the pool two stories below where gondoliers would row about with the musicians. Quite a sight to behold, I'm sure. Now the pool floor, at the deep end, is home to a nice cafe.

Lightner Museum

Arches of the ballroom

Lobby of the spas and gym

image from my flickr, here, here, here, here, here and here
ArchitectDesign™ said...

so great to see this place used and so much of the original detail in place. Love the way the pool was converted especially.

Ann said...

If you do make this your next Southern tour stop, you should try the cafe! I really enjoyed my meal there and now I can truly say I've eaten on the pool floor...