whitehall, two of three

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I'm going to breeze through the more popular rooms since it seems people post a bevy of photos of them and you can do a virtual tour on the museum site. For starters here is the Grand Ballroom, I particularly like the climate-appropriate seasonal decor.

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.37

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.39

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.41

But I really love this image from the Flagler Museum of how it looks at night the carpet removed.



Courtyard

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.31

Breakfast Room, ugh that ceiling is amazing. It seems to be something a lot of folks comment about after visiting this house turned hotel turned museum.

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.54

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.55

Dining Room

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.45

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.46

I had an impossible time getting a non-blurry shot of the hearth so this is from the museum


And I also had difficulty getting a good shot of the Drawing Room, sadly because they were in the process of disassembling a large Christmas tree on the far side of the room. This perfectly lit image from the museum gives a good idea of the color scheme.

Although, the aluminum leafed trim is quite a highlight.


I love loved the torchieres and I wanted to draw attention the the floral lamp shades, not unlike the modern version carried by places like Pottery Barn Kids. I'm sensing a DIY? Maybe not.

PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.64


PB.Whitehall.WallsofWhite.65

Hey, hey and here's the Pottery Barn Version


Tomorrow I want to look a bit more at the personal spaces of Whitehall. For some reason, bedrooms and guestrooms are always my favorite. Perhaps because the details in "public" rooms are not necessarily reproducible for a nomad. I can't exactly install coffered ceilings in my condo...
ArchitectDesign™ said...

so totally over the top. I hadn't seen those flower shades before but it's really cute! I could see that in a little girl's room or bedroom. I have to agree -the private spaces are always my favorite too. Even more so -the 'back spaces' where the servants were. Have you been to the Biltmore estate in Asheville where you can tour the ENTIRE HOUSE -all 100 basements and 10 kitchens, all of the servants quarters, etc. Heaven.

Ann said...

Stefan, I know. I've seen those lamps a million times at big box retailers but who knew that they had street cred i.e. historic roots?