will rogers' barn

Friday, December 2, 2011

On the odd occasion I still get emails from old friends. Recently an article about saving Will Rogers' pony barn was sent my way. The barn itself is located in Massapequa and is a simple construction of mortise and ten-on construction, dating from 1850. It is a very tall two-story measuring 26' by 27' constructed with hand-hewn perimeter and main beams. The barn was slated for demolition, but Bill and Maria Heinrich came to the rescue. After some research they learned that in the barn’s heyday, polo ponies were kept in it, owned by vaudeville and movie stars, in the early 1900s. The more famous boarders were the horses of Vaudeville star Fred Stone (a regular with the Ziegfield Follies) and his daughters. The couple relocated the barn to their own property, a Victorian that once belonged to Will Rogers.

I love a good old barn, people don't do enough to keep them. I can't count the number of times I've seen deteriorating abandoned barns. Here are some more inspirational favorites of good old barns I've been saving on my pinterest.