why are we here?

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Existential crisis aside, I’m here to record ideas for both myself and anyone who cares to share. I am a first and fore mostly a military wife. We have made several cross country moves and I anticipate another in the very near future. That being said, most people have a natural instinct to nest. You’ll find old books on military life that warn service members often dream of being farmers for want of roots. I’m not sure if I’m ready for my coveralls just yet but I am totally batty with my obsession for interior design, gardening and architecture.

Yes, I read Edith Wharton and Ogden Codman’s book, actually both her books. Yes, I read Palladio and his homeboy Vitruvius; and no, not in college because it was required! And yes, I’m a self-professed Richard Morris Hunt groupie. Don’t even get me started on Mr. Olmstead... But above all, I have been a design/shelter blog addict for nearly three years. Yes, I confess – you blog about it, I’ll read it. I realized that while I love the style of all the bloggers out there, very rarely did I find blogs that were what I was looking for personally. Namely, I was looking for ideas that were mobile since we can't all be so lucky to tear down walls, rebuild baths or even paint.

So what will “These Walls of White” be? I recently read an article in the New York Times about stagers in Charleston, South Carolina. The wife was asked how long it would take before a place felt like home. Brilliantly Ms. Potter answered, “It always does, immediately, because it’s always our stuff,” she said. So even if you’re not into architecture or antiques, hopefully you’ll find something to help make a house your home.

We shall see but for now, I want to share design for nomads and visual inspiration for those who cannot paint and who must be forced to live with walls of white.